String Beans with Ground Beef – Saltado de Vainitas – is a dish made with string/green beans steamed over deliciously seasoned meat and onions. Simple to prepare and makes a fantastic meal anytime of the week.
This is a quick meal that is super simple to prepare and served with my Perfect Rice. The seasonings include garlic, cumin, and my Sazón Seasoning. They sell sazón in little packets, but most have msg and/or artificial coloring. Read the label. This is the reason I love to make my own seasonings and spice mixes. I know what is in there and it’s all good. Make some and store in an airtight jar. You will have it when you want to prepare a delicious meal.
This is one of those meals that can be made in about 30 minutes. You will be shocked over the simplicity and pleasantly surprised at how tasty a simple dish like this can be using hamburger, onions, spices, and string beans.
String beans or green beans? To me, they are one in the same. Sometimes my family calls them string and sometimes green. Whatever you call them, they taste good and are good for you.
Grab a large skillet and brown the ground beef until it renders the fat and loses its pink color. It doesn’t have to fully cook since it will continue to cook with the string beans. Use a slotted spoon to drain the ground beef and set aside in a bowl.
Drain the fat from the skillet. Add the oil into the skillet and sauté your onions until they are translucent and just starting to turn golden. Stir in the garlic and cook for a minute until fragrant. If you rather use granulated garlic, it’s perfectly fine. I use it when I don’t have fresh on hand or if I’m too lazy to peel and mince the garlic. If using the granulated garlic, just add it along when adding the other spices.
Add the hamburger back into the skillet and season with Sazón Seasoning and spices. Add in the tomato paste and stir until it loses its bright red color.
Stir in the water and soy sauce. Since soy sauce is used, I do not add salt to this dish. If you would like to add it, add it to your taste. Place the string beans on top. Cover the skillet, reduce heat to medium, and cook until string beans are tender.
Serve along with my Perfect Rice and you will have a delicious meal!
Thanks for visiting…
- 2 pounds ground sirloin
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, if needed
- 2 cups onions, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced*
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Sazón Seasoning
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound string/green beans, trimmed
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, brown the ground beef until it renders its fat and loses its pink color. It doesn't have to fully cook since it will continue to cook with the string beans. Remove the ground beef with slotted spoon and set aside in a bowl.
- Drain the fat from the skillet.
- Add oil into the skillet and sauté onions until translucent and just starting to turn golden. Scrape up any bits from hamburger.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for a minute until fragrant.
- Add the hamburger back into the skillet and season with the spices.
- Add in the tomato paste and stir until it loses its bright red color.
- Stir in the water and soy sauce.
- Place beans on top of ground beef. Cover the skillet, reduce heat to medium, and cook until string beans are tender.
- Serve with rice.
- ¡Al ataque!
If serving with my Perfect Rice, start cooking rice when string beans are added to meat and covered. By the time the rice is done, the meal will be all ready.