Italian Stuffed Peppers with Sausage and Mozzarella are loaded with flavor yet require little effort to prepare. Mix the ingredients in the bowl, stuff the peppers, top with sauce, sprinkle with cheese, bake, and serve. Part of my KISS recipes – Keep It Short Simple. Mangia!
Ever have one of those days where you just don’t want to cook? Even me, a person who lives for food, has some of those days. My husband would suggest take out, but I don’t like take out food. I was at the market and saw the produce clerk stack beautiful red, yellow, and orange bell peppers. They were perfect with their skin tight and taut – the kind Hollywood actors pay so much money to have – except these were natural. Of course, I had to buy a few of each color knowing exactly how I was going to prepare them.
I wanted a simple meal and this was the perfect recipe, as it was going to be one of those busy nights where I didn’t have a lot of time to prepare an elaborate dinner. I had some time during the day allowing me to prepare ahead. All I had to do later was bake and serve. My Italian Stuffed Peppers with Sausage and Mozzarella is one of the simplest meals you can prepare yet the results make it look as if you slaved in the kitchen all day.
This recipe is so simple and easy to make, it falls under the category of my KISS recipes – Keep It Short Simple. And, I’m going to make it even simpler. If you are really pressed for time or you’re just having one of those days where you just don’t have the energy, I have a no cook tomato sauce just for this purpose. But If I happen to have any of my Quick Tomato Sauce leftover, that is also perfect for topping these Italian Stuffed Peppers with Sausage and Mozzarella.
Open a 28 ounce can of ground peeled tomatoes, pour into a bowl, and add:
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
1 teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Mix it all together and you are done. The sauce will cook in the oven when baking the peppers. No chopping, no sautéing. Next…
In a large bowl, combine sausage with mozzarella and 1 cup of the sauce.
Next, slice the tops off the peppers and cut each pepper in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and pull off the white ribs. Don’t discard the tops. Place them in the pan under the peppers and they will soften as they cook.
Stuff the peppers with the sausage mixture and set them in a baking dish. Then top peppers with sauce and with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese on top.
Bake in a 400 degree preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until sausage is cooked through.
Just mix, stuff, top, sprinkle, and bake. Come on! You can do this!
The result is a bubbly, cheesy, delicious meal all done from scratch and made by you.
How easy was that? You didn’t have to saute anything, use a bunch of pans, or use up a lot of time. Heck, you can use a foil baking pan and call it a day!
I used 6 peppers for my family of five allowing or hoping for one pepper leftover for lunch the next day. You can make this recipe to fit your needs. I used 2 pounds of sausage and removed the casings mixed with 1 pound of mozzarella. The sauce can be made as is and whatever isn’t used can be refrigerated or frozen for another time. Use as much or as little sauce to your liking. Top with some Parmesan cheese and bake. It’s done when the sausage is cooked through. Serve with a salad and some good crusty bread and you have an incredible meal that was simple to prepare yet delicious. Enjoy!
If you make this, let me know what you think by snapping a picture and tagging me on Instagram @thegeneticchef and use hashtag #thegeneticchef. I would love to hear all about it. Or, write a comment and tell me what you think.
Thanks for visiting…
- 6 bell peppers, or any pepper of your choosing, tops removed, seeded, and halved lengthwise
- 2 pounds Italian sausage - either sweet or hot, casings removed
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper, optional, don't use if using hot sausage
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- No Cook Tomato Sauce (recipe follows)
- No Cook Tomato Sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can of ground peeled tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven 400 degrees.
- Mix the ingredients for the No Cook Tomato Sauce together in a bowl. The sauce will cook when peppers are baking.
- In a large bowl, combine sausage with mozzarella, crushed red pepper, if using, and 1 cup of the sauce.
- Next, slice the tops off the peppers and cut each pepper in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and pull off the white ribs. Don't discard tops. Place in baking dish and they will soften when cooked.
- Stuff the peppers with the sausage mixture, dividing the mixture evenly, and set them in a baking dish.
- Top peppers with sauce and with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil.
- Bake for about 40 minutes. The tops should be golden and the sausage cooked through.
Use as much or as little sauce for topping. After baking, there will be liquid from the peppers on the bottom.
Warm up any leftover sauce and serve with peppers, if desired. Otherwise, they are perfect as is.