It’s the beginning of 2015 and as with every new year, the most common goal is to be healthier. The last few weeks everyone in my family has indulged and one way to combat that is by eating this hearty hamburger soup. I’ll even state it is healthy just by the ingredients – lean ground hamburger, onions, mushrooms, tons of garlic, beans, tomatoes, and vegetable broth. Lots of spices make it interesting and delicious along with a little heat to get the metabolism going. Want vegetarian? Just leave out the ground beef and have a hearty vegetable soup.
This is my sister, Nilda’s, favorite soup. The first time I threw it together she was over the house visiting. I served her a bowl and that was it. From that moment on, this soup has been her top request. This is for you, Nilda.
This is a quick soup to make. It uses vegetable broth as part of the base so pick your favorite brand and just add it in. I admit, vegetable broth is not something I put the time to make so I purchase it. It’s a rare thing but in this case that is what I do. If possible, purchase a low sodium vegetable broth or you will have to adjust the salt in the recipe.
This is a very filling soup and it has a bite to it. You can eliminate the cayenne if you like but we like the kick that it brings.
In a large stock pot, add the olive oil and over medium high heat, sauté the onions, mushrooms, and garlic.
In a separate skillet, brown the hamburger breaking up the meat. Season with salt and pepper then drain. Add the hamburger to the onion mixture.
Add all the seasonings, vinegar, amino acid or soy sauce, the crushed tomatoes, beans, and vegetable stock.
Stir it all up and simmer for about 30 minutes.
Stir in the chopped parsley and cilantro and simmer another 10 minutes. This soup is delicious, satisfying, and freezes well. Serve with a slice of my Single Rise White Bread.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 6 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons amino acid (Braggs) or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (32 ounce) can or box vegetable broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans of red kidney beans or 1 can of kidney and 1 can of lima beans
- 8 - 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, washed and chopped
- ½ cup fresh parsley, washed and chopped
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, brown the hamburger. Drain.
- In a large stockpot over medium high heat, sauté the onions, mushrooms, and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the meat, and remaining ingredients except for cilantro and parsley.
- Stir and simmer for 20 - 30 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro and parsley and simmer another 10 minutes.
- Serve and Enjoy!